Pages

12 November 2006

Beauty

Jon sent me this link a month ago and I've been meaning to post it. I think it's very interesting and important.
Evolution of Beauty
Thanks Jon.

The closer I become to being a full fledged member of the beauty industry, the more I realize how unimportant "beauty" is. It's such a façade. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with looking your best and taking care of yourself; on the contrary, these things are important and can have an enormous impact on many aspects of your life. What is damaging is the race to look the best, to look like everyone else, and to define yourself by these things. I know everyone knows this. But even even those of us who know this sometimes get caught up in the hype. I consider myself to be stylish and to have a strong sense of self. Trends sometimes influence and inspire me, but they never control me. You know what's ironic? At my school I'm considered styleless and strange. You know why? Because I don't look like everyone else. And I sure don't act like them. I am for a fact, the only person in my school with my natural haircolor. I don't dress like I just climbed out of the dumpster behind the mall, and my makeup isn't obvious. How weird. I'm not seeking a career in the beauty industry to draw attention to myself or to get my own tv show. I would love to be the best in the industry. But more so because of the sense of accomplishment than for the recognition and praise. There is so much meanness and envy in this industry and I won't have any part of it.

What drives me is finding a way to make people look as beautiful as possible with as little effort on their part as possible. I love helping women and girls feel confident and secure about the assets and attributes they have naturally. I don't believe in ugly. At least in regard to physical attributes; ugly is a character flaw. Ugly is the lack of tact, kindness, compassion, and manners. I gave my sister a haircut this week that I was sure would look good on her because I wanted it to. It didn't. We both knew it. She assured me that it was a good haircut, just not the one she wanted. She tried it out for a few days, but it was just wrong. Today I listened better to what she was saying and I contemplated her features, her lifestyle, her hair texture, and her personality. I took my time and made it about her and what resulted was a masterpiece. We were both pleased. It's the most flattering haircut I've ever seen on her. I was happy because she was happy.

Women have a natural need and desire to feel beautiful. It's a good thing. But there are people who have capitalized on that natural tendency in the worst ways and a lot of women are suffering because of it. What scares me is the amount of people going to drastic measures to change their bodies. I believe plastic surgery is a good thing if you have a serious deformity or a medical need. Small breasts, cheeks, and chins are not deformities. Neither are interesting noses or ears. Wrinkles are badges of honor and must be earned, so are laugh lines. Faces and bodies are meant to be different and interesting. But millions of people are getting their most interesting physical characteristics surgically removed. If you think you want surgery, come spend a week with me and I'll give you some lessons in beautiful.

If you aren't feeling beautiful, please turn off the tv, throw away your magazines, and go do something to help someone else. Don't let the media get inside your head and tell you that you aren't enough. It isn't true.

No comments:

Post a Comment