Pages

26 December 2006

Ridiculousness

I believe that animal testing can be useful and life saving. I do not believe that cosmetics save lives. Neither does pomegranate juice. I learned recently that the technology necessary for testing cosmetic ingredients without using animals was developed in the 1920’s. So why on earth are companies like Proctor and Gamble, Lancome, and even Bic, for crying out loud, still testing their products on animals 80 years later? They don’t necessarily make the best products, and there are plenty of companies that make comparable and even superior products who don’t practice animal testing. I’ve always thought it was nice when my cosmetic products were labeled “No animal testing” but had never researched who does and does not test, nor had I made a commitment to avoid animal tested products. Until now. The information I researched recently has caused me to commit wholeheartedly to supporting only those companies who have decided against animal testing. I went back to the Lancome counter where I recently purchased makeup and returned my purchases. When asked the reason for return, I stated moral and ethical reasons. The sales person looked thoroughly confused. I also am in the process of sorting through my very large stash of cosmetics and weeding out any products made by offending companies. I’ve already given a fair amount of products away to friends and family. Next on my list is a company with a really great return policy who is about to receive back two years worth of cosmetic purchases. The worst tragedy is finding that my absolute favorite lip gloss is made by the animal torturing company Sally Hansen. PETA maintains a list of companies who do and don’t test and updates it quarterly. They even tell you which companies are re-evaluating their practices. I think PETA can get pretty extreme, but that overall, they do a whole lot of good. Without them I wouldn’t know to boycott the company POM Wonderful who cause intentional brain damage in baby mammals and sever the arteries of live animals in an effort to prove to the world that the pomegranate juice they package is some kind of wonder-product. Guess what? People have been consuming pomegranates since the dawn of time, if they were a cure-all, we would know by now. If there were such a thing as a cure-all, we’d know by now. They are torturing animals in an effort to create a frenzy about pomegranates the way companies have started frenzies about Noni and Acai juices. There is no magic bullet, people. Variety is the spice of life. No one fruit or vegetable is going to save you. They all are. Eat 5 or more a day. Take vitamins. Companies don’t make their claims because they believe their products will truly help you. They only want your money. That’s what marketing is for. Don’t give it to them. Buy your juice from somebody else. There are plenty of companies who don’t torture animals. Pregnant mice shouldn’t have to be injected with juice and then have their babies suffocated to the point of brain damage and studied. What does that prove? That shooting up with pomegranates instead of heroin will somehow protect your baby when you smother it with a pillow and/or neglect it? What’s the point? Join the POM Horrible campaign. Email these jerks and tell them what you think. Get educated. Stop supporting companies with irresponsible practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment