Pages

19 February 2007

Secrets

As ya'll well know, I LOVE makeup. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Recently, I've been exploring more natural forms of makeup and have had some great results. So as promised, here's my review so far...

First things first, I will not use products from companies who test on animals. For more info on who does and doesn't test check out: http://www.caringconsumer.com/

Face care: Basically ANYTHING by Dr. Hauschka is phenomenal. It's pricey, but well worth it. My skin has never been so happy. Even so, I want to try out products by Primavera, Jurlique, Weleda, and John Masters. I've been using Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Milk, Facial Toner, and Quince Day Cream. I'm in love. (I used to use Burt's Bees products, but I find them to be too harsh for me.)

Face Makeup: So, it turns out that the most popular mineral makeups (Bare Minerals, Colorescience) are not quite as "natural" as they claim. Some use parabens as preservatives and contain bismuth oxychloride and talc. (In a nutshell, parabens are being studied to see how they may contribute to breast cancer since they alter your hormones and are endocrine disruptors and have been found in their whole state in breast tumors; bismuth oxychloride causes skin irritation, clogged and big greasy pores and is related to arsenic; and talc stretches the pore walls. Any info beyond this, you need to research for yourself because I could go on for days.)

I've had success using Larenim mineral makeup. My skin likes it and I always get compliments when I wear it. If you hate mineral makeup, you're on your own. I haven't found a liquid that I like in the "natural" category. In the "regular" category I really love Clinique's Almost Makeup. I've been a fan for years. I do mix my regular and natural cosmetics. For example, sometimes I'll use a makeup primer from Smashbox before I put on my mineral makeup. It gives my skin the most incredible finish ever.

Ya'll know that I'm a blush junkie. I always wear blush. I haven't gone natural in the blush department yet because I'm afraid of disappointment. I'm still a big fan of Clinique blushes. Iced Lotus is my favorite color. I'm sure they're full of parabens and other evils. I'm going to try Larenim's blushes next - hopefully they can come through for me. I've tested the Dr. Hauschka blushes on my hand and they are ridiculously silky, but a little too pricey for me right now- and the color selection is pretty limited- they only have 3 colors.

Eyes: I also haven't tried any of the natural eyeshadows. So far, M.A.C. Cosmetics wins the prize for making the absolute best eyeshadow in the greatest colors. Again, probably toxin laden. Larenim eyeshadows are next. Then Dr. Hauschka.

Mascara: I am madly in love with Ecco Bella FlowerColor Cosmetics Mascara. I have it in brown. I'm on my way to get it in black too. I've been using it for 3 months and couldn't be happier. I have really sensitive eyes and I haven't had irritation, clumps, or flakes. I've heard Dr. Hauschka mascara praised as the greatest product ever made, but I never believe claims like that, I'll believe it when I try it. But I'm not about to shell out $24 for mascara right now. $24 will get me two tubes of Ecco Bella.

Lips: Confession: I haven't been wearing lipgloss or lipstick for a good while now. I think the lip-gods have been smiling on me because my lips have just looked great with a little of my favorite lip balm: Avalon Organics Vitamin C Lip balm. It's great stuff, I keep it with me all the time. I might be a little obsessed. Ok, I lied (not about being obsessed, that is all too true)... Sometimes I use Alba Botanica TerraGloss in Bloom or Garnet and Philosophy's the Supernatural Lip and Cheek tint, but they've discontinued it. Jerks. Wearing the tint with Garnet over the top is the perfect everyday red for me. But I don't wear it everyday 'cuz that would mean I would have to end my love affair/addiction with the above mentioned lip balm. It's a problem.

On to my desecrated locks. Yeah, they're still choppy. Yes, I have my hair in a bun at this very moment. If my haircut wasn't so ugly, the whole world would be swooning over the remarkable shine and bounce and curl that is a result of using.... you guessed it! Dr. Hauschka. I've been using the Shampoo with Apricot and Sea Buckthorn for dry hair and the Conditioner with Jojoba and Marshmallow. It's miraculous. My curls have been pathetic and non-existent owing to the ridiculously dry climate. As soon as I had washed the shampoo out the first time, ringlets started forming before my eyes. I kid you not. The stuff is like crack. I can't stop using it. I want to wash my hair everyday. I just stare at all the other shampoo in my shower (Aveda, Pureology) and whisper curses at it for not being as truly miraculous as my new love. I do still use my Pureology RealCurl Define Creme. And I like Aveda's Be Curly Curl Enhancer. And Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious for fine to medium hair. John Masters is next on my list. Because he does the kind of hair I want to do. And has the only "clean air" salon in NYC. No chemicals. No fumes. I might just have to relocate and go work for him. I'm gonna test his products first though. 'Cuz they just might suck. I'll let you know.

That's all for now. Feel free to share any insight you have about products you've tried.


P. to the S.

When I get my hair fixed, I'm thinking about taking this picture with me. I love the hair, hate the spider mascara.



Or this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment