Pages

31 May 2007

The Greatest Day

It's taken me forever finally find the time to blog this. Two weeks ago I had the greatest day. There's a really great group of kids in the shelter right now. There are 8 of them and they're all between the ages of 5 and 11. They're all really funny and creative and when they found out my birthday was coming, they began covert operations. They asked for construction paper and balloons and spent hours in one of the rooms in the center "practicing" and making me keep out. Things at work have been really busy and I've been pulling double duty performing my regular job and half of the case management - So I knew full well these kids had something up their sleeves, but had been so busy I was taken by surprise when they sprung things on me. We'd just had art therapy and the kids and I were cleaning up when they told me to go in my office and don't come out until they said so. I went in my office and heard giggling and scurrying. One of the kids came in my office and told me to close my eyes and she led me out of the office. When I opened my eyes, the room was dark except for the glow of birthday candles and all of the kids and their moms and several other clients were singing "Happy Birthday" to me. I cannot describe how incredibly moved I was. It was a moment I'll remember for the rest of my life. I spend hours everyday listening to their fears and anguish and despair. I know how hopeless many of them feel. How hard it is for them to pick of the pieces and feel empowered and here they were singing to me. Have you ever heard that cheesy birthday song sung and honestly felt love? I have now. I've never experienced anything like it. When I blew out the candles, my wish had nothing to do with me. Then the kids led me into our large group room and sat all of the adults down and performed a play and a song that they had written just for me. It was honestly the best birthday I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment