Pages

26 March 2007

Decisions, Decisions

I'm still weighing my options for school. I'm going to start at the beginning and see where I end up. I think I could serve the causes I feel the strongest about by helping the victims and the perpetrators of family violence. I especially want to help families, and as I've blogged about before, I have a gift with children. They will talk to me when no one else can get through. That's not a gift I can ignore. I was recently reading an article on one of my new favorite websites (thanks John) and thought about the kids that are living in detention facilities. It kills me. I work with kids who are living in safe and comfortable shelter and see first-hand the negative effects it has on them, so I can only imagine what is going on in the minds of children who are being held with their families in a place they cannot leave. Children need to be empowered in order to grow up with the ability to succeed and influence the world for good. When they are forced to live for weeks, months, or even years in places where their power has been taken, they will try to find ways to get that power back for the rest of their lives. And their methods may be destructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment